Toxic Mold in the House
Almost all molds are obnoxious to humans. However, most
molds grow outdoors and their spores and gases are diluted by
the wind and are not detectable by smell, taste or irritation
effects in healthy non-allergic individuals. However, when
these same outdoor environmental molds from your neighborhood
begin to grow on a wet, damp, flooded or moist material, in a
confined space in your house, their spores and off-gases reach
levels that our body finds irritating, repulsive or toxic.
How Do Toxic Molds Get in Your House?
Molds in your house come from two places. They came in as
dormant spores on the original wood, sheetrock when the house was
built. They also come in every day from your neighborhood
through open windows and doors, on your clothes, hair, pets,
packages, shoes, etc. This includes the least irritating molds
as well as the most irritating and most toxic molds they all
live in the soil, plants, leaves, lawns, gardens and forests
of your neighborhood and blow into your house.
Once mold spores get in your house, they settle out like
dust and stay dormant (like a seed) or dry out and die or get
picked up and tossed out by dusting, washing, vacuuming and
filtering. The remaining "background" mold spores lie dormant
on or in your walls, rugs,
attic, basement, etc.
These mold spores only become a contamination problem when
they become wet and begin to grow inside a building. The
wetting is usually due to a pipe leak, accident, builder
negligence, normal wear and tear, leaks or flooding or
negligent building maintenance.
Stachybotrys Chartarum, the most recently publicized
toxic mold, is only one of probably a dozen or more local
environmental mold spores lying dormant in your house in
rugs, walls, attics and basements.
Toxic Mold From Russia To Cleveland
Stachybotrys Chartarum (the cellulose-loving toxic
mold) was reliably reported to have killed thousands of
horses when they ate moldy hay (cellulose) which had
become wet from rains (in the Russian Ukraine). The same toxic
mold is strongly suspected in killing 10 infants and
causing illness to many others living in houses with wet,
moldy walls in Cleveland, Ohio, in the early 1990's.
Toxic Mold Today or Toxic Mold Tomorrow In Your Damp
So, if you find mold growing in your house or building,
black will often be the dominant color, but there will more
than likely be a half-dozen or so other dark molds mixed in,
on and around the dominant mold. A wide-range of molds will
grow on moist wood, wallboard, rugs, glue, wallpaper, etc.
As mold grows and the area becomes wetter or dryer, the
dominant mold may change so, if it's not toxic today, it may
be toxic tomorrow or vice versa so dont wait to make a plan
to safely clean it up.